2012年2月7日星期二

Life drawings isn’t too risque for Wirral – it’s art

PASSION for art is fed through many mediums and this week’s focus is on life drawings and oil painting.

Stripped back art classes with a back to basics approach are undertaken at Melrose Hall on Melrose Avenue, Hoylake.

The centre is run by volunteers and holds regular art classes each week.

The lessons are led by Dennis Spicer, who guides students to do life drawing with nude models and oil painting masterpieces.

Budding artists of any calibre are invited to join the group.

Dennis, who lives in West Kirby, said: “Teaching to draw became unfashionable from the 1970s with the emergence of abstract and conceptual art.

“I have always enjoyed figure drawing so when I moved to Wirral 10 years ago I looked for somewhere to continue my art and teach.

“I had previously taught life drawing in London, so when I was invited to tutor here at Melrose Hall I wanted to continue along with the already successful oil painting classes that took place.

“I wondered if people might think figure drawing was perhaps too risque for Hoylake, but I was pleasantly surprised by the enthusiasm and skill shown by people who have taken it up.

“We now have thriving sessions where experienced artists mix with amateurs and beginners, drawing both male and female models. We have a mixed age group who come to the sessions, including people who are retired and finding a new hobby.

“In the oil painting sessions, students are free to explore their own ideas. They produce many beautiful works which are shown at our annual art exhibition.”

Oil paintings classes are at the hall on Monday 10am-12noon, and life drawing is on Tuesdays, at 1pm-3pm and 7pm-9pm.

没有评论:

发表评论