2012年2月1日星期三

Eager artists get painting lesson at APL

A handful of lucky youth got the chance to put paint brush to canvas this past weekend when local painter Lorne Peterson taught a classroom full of eager artists the fine art of oil painting at the Airdrie Public Library.

The class, which ran from 1 to 2:30 pm, was part of the library’s ongoing Art in the Library program which encourages artists from all mediums and disciplines to share their skills and talents with youth in the community through the teaching of hands-on seminars and workshops. Classes are open to children ages 9 to 12 years of age and cost a total of $3 for supplies.

“I really enjoy teaching art to children because all of my four children, since the age of six, have won first prize in art,” said Peterson. “My 13-year-old daughter was actually accepted into the Calgary Stampede Art Auction and sold her painting for $600 to a collector from Idaho and my eldest daughter was selling numerous pencil portrait sketches to her place of employment when she was only 17.”

Though his own love of painting didn’t take root as early as those of his children and students, Peterson has managed to make up for lost time by creating gorgeous paintings that incorporate his love of tall ships, western landscapes and personal portraits.

“I first began oil painting at about 18-years-old,” noted Peterson. “I applied to attend the Nova Scotia College of Art and the school suggested I attend a life class. Not knowing any better I attended the class, which turned out to be a bad decision. I then [enrolled] in a graphic arts class.”

Not satisfied with what he was learning in the classroom, Peterson decided to take his studies to the library where he began reading books about 15th century art and artists. Self-taught, he began to dabble in various mediums, including photography, but eventually settled on oils.

“I paint in oils mainly because of the special effects I can achieve and also the durability

of the finished picture,” explained Peterson. “Great paintings from the past and notable contemporary art are all in oils.”

Though the process of painting a picture can take up to 60 hours to complete, Peterson never tires of the process and remains inspired by the world around him.

“I have always enjoyed learning,” he explained. “Upon leaving school I was a machinist, a marine engineer, an artist, and from there a design draftsman. Art of course is certainly my favourite because it is artistic and painting is capturing light, similar to photography.”

没有评论:

发表评论