2012年1月18日星期三

Marciano friend is also a gifted artist

As Brockton prepares to honor homegrown boxing legend Rocky Marciano, a boyhood friend and his art are also getting some overdue attentions.

John Jantomaso, 91, whose “best pal” was Marciano trainer Allie Colombo, started painting when he was selected in middle school as one of two students to receive free lessons from the art teacher at Brockton High School.

“I did an oil with him,” said Jantomaso. “We had it three-quarters done; we went to continue it, and somebody stole it.”

His teacher felt so bad about it he made Jantomaso the subject of a portrait that continues to hang in the living room at his Westwood Avenue home.

After marrying at the age of 26, Jantomaso began to lose interest in his artistic endeavors and did not paint or draw for more than 40 years.

That changed three years ago after health problems forced him to give up golf, one of his favorite pastimes.

“My health stopped me from playing golf the way I used to,” said Jantomaso.

“I had to consume my time in another manner, and I said, ‘I’m going to start drawing’”

Jantomaso’s work is heavily inspired by photographs he sees in magazines. In a three-year period, he has sketched famous figures such as Halle Berry; Tom Brady; Ronald Reagan; golf writer and Brockton native Herbert Warren Wind, who coined the term the “Amen Corner” and, of course, “The Rock from Brockton.”

Phil Sheppard, the executive director of external relations at Massasoit Community College, had a chance meeting with Jantomaso at Thorny Lea Golf Club and was amazed when he saw his work.

“It absolutely took my breath away,” said Sheppard. “He does marvelous work.”

Sheppard recently brought a group of art experts from the college to Jantomaso’s basement studio so they could see the quality of his work.

“Representing the college, representing myself, I want to do something to honor John to honor his work, particularly this year with the Rocky Marciano statue coming to Brockton,” said Sheppard, “He’s a Brockton institution.”

Brockton is planning a serious of events to commemorate Marciano, culminating in the statue dedication ceremony at Brockton High School on Sept. 1.

1 条评论:

  1. Your blog is very informative.This is obviously one great post.I love a wall of original framed art...your choices are charming. Thanks..

    Oil Paintings Reproductions

    回复删除