2011年11月13日星期日

Aberdeen artist Sandra Jackowski left administrative career behind

After some 30 years of working in the administrative/management industry and leaving seven years ago as human resources administrator of a large, prestigous law firm, I decided to pursue a career within the art world of oil painting.

My husband, Tom, was extremely supportive and helpful in making my decision a reality. In learning how my paintings were selling, he encouraged me to proceed further and was very instrumental in foreseeing my dream and goals.

I have always enjoyed painting or drawing, selling my artwork either to staff where I worked or for those requesting a painting. I had designed and drawn my own Christmas cards many years ago for a few friends and, after all this time, they have still kept each card as a momento. People seem to appreciate homemade items which they can cherish.

I originally began by attending craft and artistic events. With such an overwhelming response in buying my smaller oil paintings, which were more affordable, I was encouraged to move forward to painting on larger canvases.

With paintings in hand, I approached up-cale stores throughout New Jersey. Many, after looking at them, were extremely interested in having them placed in their shops. After seeing my first oil painting of sunflowers and birds on display in a storefront window in Red Bank, I knew I had made the right decision. Since then, I have had many of my artwork shown at shops in Chester, Metuchen, Point Pleasant, Summit, Chatham, Frenchtown, Fair Haven, Westfield, Brielle and Lambertville. I then expanded my horizons to Pennsylvania, having my art in Chadds Ford, Lahaska and Lancaster.

Since I gravitate to country folk-art, I also paint florals and landscapes. The simplicity and vintage of rustic, primitive-type art apparently appeals to many. With encouragement and assertiveness, I met with the owner of an art gallery in Rumson and was given the opportunity of becoming the featured artist three years ago. I also participate in the Bayonet Farm’s Plein Air Art Show in Holmdel each September.

I have since participated in many more art shows, including the prestigious Christian Brothers Academy’s Art Show in February, representing numerous high-profile artists. A few months ago, I won “honorable mention” for my painting at the Middletown Art Center’s Art Show. In May, I was art demonstrator for an event called “Ask The Experts” at a store in Chester called Better With Tyme, featuring presentations by experienced professionals on various home and decorating topics. Helping interested people to perhaps become artists themselves or to pursue their own dreams is rewarding and challenging. I have met so many wonderful and creative people during the past few years, and I’m hoping to meet many more in the future. Meeting such a variety of artisans offering an array of different mediums, as well as learning their aspirations, is inspirational in itself.

My husband has been a crucial part of my new career from the beginning, helping me display and set-up at shows, taking photographs and having input in numerous endeavors. To be afforded the opportunity of fulfilling a goal is certainly beneficial and exceptional.

没有评论:

发表评论